Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Is my time really only worth $0.60 an hour!?!?!?!

     I have come to realize that I am an obsessive cheapskate.  Once upon  a time, I had some glue sticks.  They were the kind you put in a hot glue gun.  They were tiny, though and my glue gun took the big ones.  So, I kept them just in case I ever bought a smaller glue gun.  One day, I did find a mini glue gun on a clearance wrack for a buck and a half and was so excited because I could use the tiny glue sticks!!!  I did not even have a project in mind but- if I ever needed to glue something, I now had the tools; except I couldn't find the blasted glue sticks.  That very night, I lay in bed, unable to sleep for wondering where the missing glue sticks were and decided to just get up and look.  SIX  HOURS I spent looking for gluesticks, being as quiet as I could since it was the middle of the night.  My poor husband thought a hurricane had hit our bedroom in the night when he woke the next morning.  I never found them, but guess what?  The Dollar store carries glue sticks. 
     Today I wanted to put up  a clothes line because, honestly, I like the romantic appeal that "hanging out the laundry" has for me- that and the fact that I live in a wind tunnel.  Why pay for blowing air in the clothes dryer when it's free right out side my door?!  I have had a roll of the actual line in my garage for five years.  But  today, I couldn't find it!  Four hours spent in the garage looking- searching, rather and nothing came to fruition.  I cleaned as I looked though so certain parts of our garage are much tidier for the searching, which is an improvement over the glue stick mess.  And, I also gave up after four hours, rather than six, so that is a 33% inprovement also.  The sad thing is this.  It was a dollar and eighty eight cents for the clothes line but by the time I got to the store and home, it was too late to do the laundry.

  I have learned several lessons today:
1. Don't store stuff for later.  Just throw it away because I'll NEVER find it when I need it and just end up                buying another anyway. 
2. I need to clean the garage. 
3.Do projects right away and not buy stuff just in case ( as I think of my sewing room FULL                              of fabric that was on a good sale that I might use someday). 
4. And I realized that if I didn't have strange quirks, I'd be absolutely perfect and would be twinkled to heaven and have to leave my sweet family with no Mommy- so I will appreciate my quirkiness and look forward to doing the bedding and hanging it out to dry tomorrow.  

2 comments:

  1. I have the exact same problem! I lost my glue sticks and I need them! The sad thing is that I put them somewhere specific so I would know right where they were when I needed them, but I can't remember where that somewhere is! That's pretty much how my life goes though. I guess I'll be making a trip to the dollar store :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just relieved they have glue sticks at the dollar store because now I won't feel guilty when I can't find mine...

    ReplyDelete